Pages

22 January 2009

Return from Registration Cloud Cuckoo Land

This is going to be a brief one because I have to run off to class in a minute but I'm so happy that I cannot keep it to myself.

I am actually going to graduate this spring. Proper graduation, parents there, handed diploma in front of people, excruciatingly boring speeches, Elgar-accompanied graduation. I thought it might never happen!

Really, I would have been content to graduate whenever I could have. The main thing is to graduate. But the bipolar disorder has messed up things more times than I can count and I am so thrilled that I actually get to do things the traditional, normal way for one time. Generally speaking, I have given up worrying about it too much. I'm not all that bothered by the fact that I'm graduating at 28 and not 21. It's okay that I have had to be off school so often. I'm going to figure out how to have a job I can keep and I'm not worried that it probably isn't going to look like what my extended family or many of my friends would see as a 'good' job. I've made peace with having to leave social gatherings at a very boring early hour. This time, however, I'm going to get to do one of the things that many of the people I know take for granted. It makes me happy, I know it will make my parents and sister happy and I know that all those who have supported me in this long struggle will be happy too! It's thrilling to be the locus of happiness for once.

I love getting to call people with happy news. I can't believe this is actually happening. I had come to think that it would be more likely that the apocalypse would arrive first!

No comments:

Post a Comment