Pages

17 April 2010

For My Mild Homesickness...

...and your general amusement.

I'm having a mild and rather enjoyable case of homesickness for Asheville, my former abode, amidst all this politicking and policy-wonking. Looking at the video I took of Obama speaking in Asheville has reminded me of another political event of the same month: the visitation of Sarah Palin.

Asheville, being the dear, odd place that it is, has for many years been home to a group of people who like to get together every month or so for Zombie Walk. It is what it sounds like: they dress up as zombies and stumble around downtown groaning at passersby for no particular reason other than that they want to and they can. It's not my cup of tea but it's up there on the list of enjoyable local phenomena.

Anyhow, what day do you suppose the GOP picked to send Palin, by then a liability, to speak in Asheville? That's right: Zombie Walk day, Sunday before Halloween, barely a week before the election. Here's what it looked like:





I didn't have my camera with me that day, unfortunately!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Zombie Walk Day looks awesome! I want to move there just to participate in it. And I can't think of a better way to protest the appearance of an illiterate brainless bimbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never want to see Asheville because my dear Zelda died there, but I hear the food is really good and it is a beautiful place

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matthew - Zombie Walk is only one of the many weird and fun town-wide events Asheville has to offer. It was quite the place to live. My favourite zombie is the one who says something about 'I can't go in there - I'd starve to death because I need to eat brains'.

    starcakeastrology - The food is unendingly wonderful and it is unbelievably beautiful. It's the only place I know of where it is reasonably feasible to entirely local and the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program there is very strong. After being there six years, I had visited most of the farms that I bought my food from - this isn't the case when I go to the Tesco and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gray God, you can't believe it, we're finally through, it's all done now, the Devil is away, we'll have it all in one.

    Will write more clearly later.

    ReplyDelete